Home > Moving at warp speed

Moving at warp speed

October 19th, 2015 at 04:37 pm

So to recap, I learned Friday night that Maplewood, where my mother resided before her fall and hip surgery, estimated my costs to keep mom there would jump from about $69,000 a year to $144,000 a year because they felt she needed a live-in aide AT Maplewood due to her high fall risk.

Talked to Masonicare this morning. I tried to get them to delay her discharge from rehab this week to give my mother more time and me more time to figure things out, but the very latest they can release her is this Saturday.

The rehab guy said he could not justify keeping her in rehab any longer (even though she would continue to get rehab in assisted living, wherever she goes, afterwards).

I am going to view available rooms at Masonicare in an hour and then meeting with the nurse who evaluated my mother and to go over costs of having her there instead of Masonicare.

As mentioned previously, a huge benefit of moving her to Masonicare, which admittedly is not nearly as new and beautiful as Maplewood, would be that I would guaranteed a room in their nursing facility when my mother gets to the point of needing that.

The Masonicare social worker I talked to on the phone said she had a quick conversation with the nurse, who it sounds like may recommend Level 4 care (the highest they offer) but not a 24/7 aide. I will find out exactly what level 4 care includes, but even at level 4, which is $3406 a month, and the base rent of the smallest space available, a studio, at $4318 a month, for a total of $7724/mth, this would be substantially cheaper than the roughly $12,000 a year Maplewood said I would be looking at.

When I moved my mother to Maplewood last May, I calculated her total assets would keep her going there for 3 years. Now with her need with bathing, dressing and lots of other stuff, Maplewood could only keep her at the hiked up price for 1 year. And so they urged me to "give her one good year" there.

But at this point I don't think the plushness of my mother's surroundings is something my mother would be as aware of now so it seems less important.

Their social worker said with an aide at Maplewood, or with 2-hour bed checks every night at Masonicare, they can't guarantee another fall won't happen. I have to resign myself that another fall is largely impossible to avoid.

We can do what we can....i'll make sure they get those bumps on the wheelchair so my mother doesn't tip the chair over again, and social worker said medicare will pay for a hospital bed with low bars so that while it won't prevent her from getting out if she really wants to, it could help somewhat. And they've already gotten her wearing a velcro belt attached to an alarm so if she takes it off, the alarm sounds. The law prohibits anything else in the way of seatbelts or restraints.

Head spinning. As usual, decisions have to be made very quickly. No time to consult with other social workers.

Left a message for friend D. to see if he'd be available this week to move mom's stuff out of maplewood. I'd have to take another vacation day to get it done with him although social worker said they could have the hospital bed in place. I'd like to have all her art and stuff already in place, though, before Saturday.

Of course, Maplewood's really going to zing me with fees. They require 30 days notice when you vacate. Since I'll be moving her immediately, i'll have to pay the last month's rent for nothing. I did pay a security deposit, so i guess that could be applied to that last month's rent. I also paid a non refundable $5,000 "community fee," which was largely a waste of money. And of course, they made me pay the $5300 rent for the room these past 5 weeks while my mother was in rehab, to hold the room.

Maplewood sucks. But i can't give notice til I"m sure I'll go with Masonicare, which I'll decide thi9s afternoon.

8 Responses to “Moving at warp speed”

  1. starfishy Says:

    so sorry that you and your mother are going through this - your head must be spinning. i think you're making a reasonable choice. will you check with MW to see if they would consider waiving the 30-day-notice penalty since you paid for a room for a month that wasn't used? good luck with the move.

  2. Ima saver Says:

    So sorry that you are having to go thru all of this.

  3. Carol Says:

    Sending you long distance hugs.

  4. CB in the City Says:

    Ugh. What a conundrum. It does seem like Maplewood is no longer the better choice; too bad they will hit you with fees, but I'm sure you're right.

  5. FrugalTexan75 Says:


  6. Livingalmostlarge Says:

    Good luck with whatever hard decision you make. Ask maplewood if they will waive partial fee since you haven't been there and in rehab. Can't hurt to ask.

  7. ceejay74 Says:

    It is really a shame how they squeeze every last dime they can out of people who are suffering emotionally as well as financially, because they know the people have very few options. I'm so sorry you have to deal with these cold, grasping policies on top of everything else.

  8. Rachael777 Says:

    wow. moving at warp speed is right. Hang in there and listen to your friend 'D'. You are doing all you can do and a good job of it. My Dad went into assisted living this year.. stayed there 3 months. moved to an Alzheimers (sortof all inclusive, all ages) place and all this in really less than 6 months! Declines happen much faster than you think. I will blog about my experiences so you know you are not alone but know we all on SA are thinking of you Smile

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]