Here's what I did today:
1. After waking up late, (around 8:30 am) so uncharacteristic of me, I had my breakfast and then headed out to return the Mac to the publisher's where I did the contract work. Neither the woman who trained me or the editor in chief was in (seems they never are) but as I was writing a little note to the trainer, another gal there who'd I'd met before told me that the trainer had found a new job and left last week! That was a bit of a surprise, since she held the f/t job I'd originally applied for last summer. So she was only there 6 months. I'm sure that she left either for more money or because the editor in chief seems a bit bitchy to deal with. Anyway, bitchy or not, that presents some further possible job opportunities for me, so I was sure to leave a nicely worded, "don't hesitate to call me if I can help again..." type note for the editor in chief.
2. Stopped at Target to pick up 10 Lean Cuisines at a great price of $2 each, plus I got a $5 gift card for my troubles, plus I can use the codes inside each box toward the magazine subscription I want to earn through their rewards program. (I've already decided to pick up another 10 for another gift card when I'm down that way on Thursday.) And I do find LCs handy for a quick lunch when I don't feel like cooking.
3. After Target I stopped at CVS for 5 cans of tuna at .59 each. I wouldn't be running hither and yon for such small savings, but it's very nearby.
4. I also stopped at the PO (on my route) to mail off a UBS cable to the research assistant with the nutrition study that I'd forgotten to give her at my last visit.
5. Another quick stop at local grocer for a 4 lb. bag of oranges ($3), zucchini (.99/lb) and salmon ($6/lb)
6. After a quick (Lean Cuisine) lunch, I did the 2nd coat of "Pebble White" paint on the window trim in spare bedroom. I can see that I will still need a THIRD coat cus it looks just a bit blotchy in certain areas; the somewhat dark teal color the trim used to be is the reason. I'm thrilled/relieved that after much procrastination, I'm finally making some progress on one of several undone interior updates here.
7. In the realm of cooking, I made a delicious salmon corn chowder (I indulged Waldo with some salmon, which he adores) and now have a blueberry crisp baking in the convection oven. It's my grandmother's recipe; have used it hundreds of times, usually with apples, but sometimes with blueberries or blueberries/peaches. Or with wineberries. I just cut back on the butter and sugar to let the natural sweetness of the berries come through. Really tasty.
I guess that's about it. I found a large plastic sheet to put over my firewood and protect it from getting wet. It's very cold out today and tomorrow, too.
I haven't heard about that transcriptionist job and am wondering if, once again, I will have reason to think I will get it only to find, inexplicably, that I didn't. I have mixed feelings about the job in any case. If I compare it to the publisher's, the pay is about the same but the publisher's is a MUCH easier drive. And the publisher is much more amenable to work at home arrangements while the other place isn't. Although after many years of working, I trust my hunch that the editor in chief could be problematic to deal with. Although if I remained freelance it wouldn't matter much. However, it would be heavenly if I had a shot at a job with health insurance.
Tomorrow I'll be headed for the library to read the weekly paper I gave up, get some free DVDs and see if they have tax forms yet. Then the 3rd coat on the trim. I'm on a roll.
Productive day in many ways
Here's what I did today: